Consortium and Random Drug Testing Programs for:
- Employers &
- DOT Owner-Operators
Random drug testing programs are required for employers regulated by the United States Department of Transportation (DOT). If you are an owner-operator, you are required to be enrolled in a consortium random drug testing program. Smaller DOT-regulated employers may also elect to enroll in a consortium random drug testing program for easy compliance. Larger DOT-regulated employers typically request a stand-alone DOT random testing program.
Let’s look at both consortium random testing and stand-alone random testing further.
Consortium Random Testing Program
- This is a random drug testing pool that includes multiple companies
- All regulated employees from all companies are enrolled in the consortium and eligible for selection for a random drug or alcohol test
- Once the required random testing percentages are met, all companies in the consortium are in compliance
- Perfect for owner-operators
Stand Alone Random Program
- This is a random drug testing pool with employees from just one company
- Typically companies with over 12 employees elect to have a stand-alone random testing program
- For example, a company with 100 truck drivers will be required to annually test 25 drivers for drugs and 10 drivers for alcohol
- Random testing programs are available for bus companies, private fleets, and for-hire carriers
DOT Required Random Testing – Are You in Compliance?
For owner-operators, two important steps must be taken to comply with the DOT FMCSA regulations for drug and alcohol testing:
- A pre-employment drug test with a negative result must be completed before operating a DOT covered commercial motor vehicle (CMV)
- You must enroll in a random testing consortium. Owner-operators are not permitted to manage random testing themselves
Coastal Drug Testing can assist owner-operators in all areas of the United States. For immediate compliance with DOT FMCSA regulations for drug and alcohol testing, order your test today.
Trucking Companies, Bus Companies, For-Hire Carriers, and Private Fleets
uBoth stand-alone random testing pools and consortium random testing pools are available for trucking companies, bus companies, for-hire carriers, and private fleets. Typically companies with over 20 drivers will elect to have a stand-alone random drug testing program. Compliance is more complicated for companies with more than one driver. Coastal Drug Testing can simplify the process and help your company with a program that keeps you in compliance and out of trouble with the DOT so that you avoid fines and penalties.
We can schedule your DOT drug test in one of our local drug testing centers with just one phone call. We have DOT drug testing centers nationwide with more than 20,000 locations. We are known as the #1 DOT drug testing facility in the nation. Our professional team of drug testing consultants are available to help, so for more information or to schedule your DOT drug screening, call us today.